Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Почему Вы в России?

Sunday was my first full free day in Moscow with no commitments. Balaban and family had invited me to go to their dacha for the day, but I declined. It’s important to debrief by yourself, and I haven’t gotten to do that since I arrived 2 weeks ago – a day of Stephanie was necessary. Plus, I knew I could go to the dacha another weekend.

With that in mind, I had checked out my to-do list and looked through blog-fiesta (site of current events/happenings in the city), and decided to wake up around 10am to start the day. First on my list, was the 5th annual Moscow Veloseped Marathon (Veloseped/Велосипед = Bicycle).  I didn’t have a bike, but I figured I could rent one nearby (there were advertisements online), and if not, at the very least it would be interesting to watch. There were expected to be 500,000 participants so I figured that in and of itself would be interesting. I arrived at the metro stop and found myself greeted by many bicyclers. I followed the crowd and found the entrance.

There were so many people with bikes! After getting through security, I asked many people where I could rent a bike, but everyone kept pointing me in different directions, and eventually I decided it was probably too late. One person I asked, also asked where I was from, and when I answered that I was an American, he asked “Why are you here”? That seems to be the question of the month so far.

After I had seen all there was to see (the race wouldn’t start for another hour), talked to people, and taken photos, I left. My next stop was an outdoor “7 Worlds” antique fair that was happening that day. I didn’t know what to expect, but who doesn’t love window shopping? When I arrived, I was surprised to see that there were maybe 200 (or more?) people there! The area was huge, and vendors had set up tables and blankets for customers to peruse. Some of the stuff was obviously crap (like at any other antique shop), but some of the stuff was super cool. I saw a huge Russian typewriter, old Soviet money, and of course the evolution of bears in Russia (my favorite being the 1980 “Masha” Olympian bear!). I stayed a few hours (it was a beautiful day), and after buying a few things for myself and others, I headed out.

As soon as I exited “The Museum of Moscow” (where the antique fair took place), I was greeted by hundreds of bicyclers! One side of the road was crossed off, and bicyclers occupied the entire lane. Everyone was wearing funny costumes, waving, laughing, and having fun…. If I hadn’t known I was in Moscow, I easily could have thought the race took place in NYC. Where was the sad, grey, communist Moscow that I’d read so much about?!

After staying and watching, I headed back onto the metro to go to Ashan. I picked up groceries and сидр and left to go home. Since I had time and all the ingredients, I decided to make more banana bread while watching Greys. I also watched a movie called “Dear Zachary,” which received a 94% rating on Rotten Tomatoes (that’s VERY high) and happened to be on Netflix. It was good but I definitely do not think it deserved 94%. Honestly it was kind of boring…


But anyways. Overall, it was such a great first free day. I definitely wasn’t expecting to work as much as I do (or rather, as late…. 11am-9pm often), but I’m glad it worked out that way. With that being said, it’s also important to relax, and be free, and explore, and do fun things. I ammmmm only 21 after all.  More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment