Monday, June 29, 2015

Новости

Hellooooooo,

I didn’t post as I had planned to…oops. I will briefly catch everyone up!

Last week I worked more with Katya on RNA Processing, Reverse Transcription, and PCR. I also did an RNA Extraction by myself with Nastya so that was fun J

On Wednesday, Kaitlin (friend from Conn who studies Russian with me and who’s interning in China-ish) and I met up for dinner at a fabulous Georgian restaurant called Khachapuri. I am DEFINITELY taking my family there because it really was that good. We met at 7:30 and stayed until at least 11pm. Between the two of us, we had two bottles of wine and two khachapuris (bread/edd/cheese dish – DELICIOUS). It was so fun and she ended up coming over to my apartment in order so that we could go to the banya early the next morning.

We woke up earlier, had cereal, and off we went to cleanse ourselves! The banya was great – it was her first time so I think she was glad to have a friend. Of course it’s always more fun in general to go with people. We did many rounds of sauna, cold water, shower, pool, etc…. and eventually left a few hours later, feeling tired and refreshed.

There was an outdoor market by the metro, so we stopped and window-shopped for a bit, but unfortunately I couldn’t stay long since I still had a day of work ahead of me. I’m very happy we got to reunite – our friendship has reached new levels in light of delicious Georgian food (and wine) and nakedness at the banya. Lolz.

Friday morning, my family arrived!! I met them at the hotel and we went to red square and GYM (arguably the most famous shopping center in Moscow). They were very impressed. There was also a huge book fair taking place – which in my opinion detracted from some of the magic – but I guess it was interesting to see the Square all “done up.” I also wanted to show them Lenin’s Tomb but it was closed. Luckily we have a lot of time.

Today is Monday, and we’ve also been to the State Historical Museum, the Tretyakovskaya Art Museum, and today they are at the Kremlin while I’m at work. It’s wonderful to show my family around and yesterday they even got to see and hang out at my apartment!

I feel as if I have such little time left here… it’s so sad L But for now I am happy I get to show them little bits of my world… And of course the conversation and wine don’t hurt either.

Today I’m doing a Western blot, which I’ll finish up tomorrow, and this Friday after my family leaves, I’m going with colleagues from the lab to Pushina, which is a smaller town/city outside Moscow a bit. It will be great to bond, even if I am leaving soon.  

This is very short, but I just wanted to do a quick update.

Movies
1.     Devil Wears Prada. I had never seen it before and it rocked my world. Anne Hathaway is also a huge girl crush.
2.     The Bourne Supremacy. Not as good as the first, but still OK. There were also some scenes in Moscow. (hehe)
3.     The Theory of Everything. GAH! Everyone needs to watch this movie. I completely understand why it was nominated for and won so many awards. Brilliant.

I’ll write more later! Xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment